|"Baby Kate and the Imaginary Mystery"|
|Number in season:||5a|
|Original Airdate:|| June 29, 2007|
December 31, 2007
December 13, 2007
|Written by:||Peter K. Hirsch|
|Storyboard by:||Elie Klimos|
"Brain's Shocking Secret"
"Strangers on a Train"
Kate announces a Mashed Peas Theater story that will feature Pal, a cat and an imaginary friend.
Kate and Pal suspect the Tibbles of kidnapping Nadine. Kate remembers how D.W. and Nadine always did everything together.
Pal hides in one of the Tibbles' backpacks and is carried into the Tibble house, where Nemo comes in through the kitchen window and quarrels with Pal. When Mrs. Tibble closes the window, Nemo is trapped. Pal has a fantasy of the twins tickle-torturing Nadine to find out what the initials D.W. stand for. He wants to search upstairs. After being scared by Mrs. Tibble's vacuum cleaner, Nemo agrees to help him. They search the twins' room. Meanwhile, Kate and Treenie wait in D.W. and Kate's room.
The twins come into their room and mistake Nemo for one of Mrs. Tibble's stuffed toys. They put Nemo into the attic where Mrs. Tibble keeps the toys she repaired. Pal follows. While Nemo escapes through an open window, Pal asks Arthur's old teddy bear Stanley and a pink elephant for help. Despite having excellent hearing, the elephant has not heard Nadine, and now Pal is trapped.
At night, Kate tries to get out of her crib and help Pal. Just then, Pal returns after hiding in the Tibbles' trashcan and being taken out by Mrs. Tibble. Nadine returns. She has been on vacation in Fairy Land and forgot to tell Treenie. She mentions that D.W. does not need her so much lately, since she is getting older. Kate offers Nadine to be her imaginary friend, but assures Pal she will always like him best.
- Timmy and Tommy Tibble
- David Read
- Arthur Read
- D.W. Read
- Mrs. Tibble
- Uncle Wormy
- Mrs. Tibble's stuffed animals
- Tooth Fairy (on photograph)
- Rumpelstiltskin (on photograph)
- Pixies (on photograph)
- In the beginning of the episode, Pal breaks the fourth wall by telling Kate that the viewers don't say anything even when Arthur talks to them.
- It is revealed in this episode that, as well as being able to speak to non-humanoid animals, babies such as Kate can also talk to toys.
- The Mashed Peas Theater room is full of pictures and objects referencing previous episodes featuring Kate and Pal as major characters. It has the cake topper from "The Secret Life of Dogs and Babies," a sock from "The Great Sock Mystery," and the flea circus from "Flea to Be You and Me." Additionally, two books are labeled The Great Sock Mystery and It Came From Beyond, the titles of two previous Kate and Pal episodes.
- Mashed Peas Theater is also seen in "Invasion of the Soccer Fans."
- The "Om_ble" backpack from "D.W.'s Backpack Mishap" is seen in this episode.
- Apart from Stanley, Mrs. Tibble's doll room also contains Quackers from "Arthur's Perfect Christmas."
- Mashed Peas Theater is a parody of "Masterpiece Theater" (later shortened to Masterpiece).
- Nadine shows pictures of the Tooth Fairy and Rumpelstiltskin.
- The Xfinity description guide refers to D.W. as a boy in the description: "D.W's imaginary friend Nadine is missing, so his real-life pals set out to find her."
- Main article: Baby Kate and the Imaginary Mystery/Gallery