|This article is about "Cast Away". You may be looking for "Swept Away" or "Carried Away".|
|Number in season:||1a|
|Original Airdate:|| October 8, 2002|
January 6, 2003
|Written by:||Dietrich Smith|
|Storyboard by:||Gerry Capelle|
"Friday the 13th"
"The Great Sock Mystery"
Arthur is thrilled that a weekend of fly-fishing with his dad means no D.W. for two days—but then a change of plans forces them to include her.
Arthur and Mr. Read are going to the new science museum, and D.W. wants to go too. Arthur refuses, saying only he and their dad are going. But Mrs. Read makes them take D.W. with them, because Kate is ill and Mrs. Read needs some work to be done. At the museum, D.W. becomes scared and wants to see a unicorn exhibit instead. Her father goes with her, much to Arthur's disappointment.
After the title card, Mr. Read observes how sore Arthur is, and he offers to take him to Whale Lake on the weekend to teach him how to fly-fish.
He promises D.W. that he will take her where she wants to go the weekend afterward. Unfortunately, there is a change when he gets a phone call and discovers he might have to work next weekend. Arthur is okay with this, until D.W. points out that it's not fair how she doesn't get next weekend while Arthur has this weekend and the other weekend. Arthur and Mr. Read realize she is right and the plans cause him to take everyone to Whale Lake. D.W. wants to go fishing, but her father refuses saying he's only teaching Arthur to fish. When teaching Arthur how to fly-fish, matters go wrong when Arthur's hook repetitively gets caught on a tree while casting. When he successfully does so, he drops his rod in the water, and Arthur falls and slips and twists his ankle while trying to get it.
When Arthur is forced to stay at camp, his dad takes D.W. fishing. Much to Arthur's surprise, D.W. actually caught fish, thanks to her Mary Moo Cow CD. However, Arthur enviously believes his dad caught them, but his dad explains to him properly that D.W. actually caught them and has the evidential photos.
It rains the next day, and Arthur and his father wear ponchos to try to catch fish. When they get back, they learn that D.W.'s Mary Moo Cow CD caused other fish to leap out of the water, much to Arthur's dismay.
When Arthur returns to the lake, his dad tells him he did a nice thing by being nice to D.W. When they are about to leave, Arthur spots the legendary whale in the lake that his dad always wanted to see. D.W. is upset that she didn't see the whale, but she catches a glimpse of it as the family drives off, and remarks "Wow."
- Unknown Female Dog (Number 2)
- Unknown Female Rabbit (Number 11)
- Kate Read
- Unknown Male Adult Dog
- Mrs. Hulser
- Maryann's father
- Even though the title card has not been narrated on the home video and DVD releases for Arthur's Family Ties, Francine narrates the title card when it airs on television, and she also narrates the title card on its release on the Region 1 DVD set Arthur: Sleepovers, Sports and More.
- This is the first episode where D.W. is voiced by Jason Szwimmer; however, Szwimmer previously voiced D.W. in the hour-long special "Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll."
- Arthur tells D.W. that the last time they went camping, she was surprised when they caught just one fish. This is a reference to the episode "D.W.'s Deer Friend."
- This is the third time Arthur has displayed resentment towards D.W. for her natural talents at quite a young age. The first was in "Arthur and the Crunch Cereal Contest," where he was resentful over her songwriting abilities, and later in "D.W. Tale Spins," when she told a story that he wished he was better at than her.