|"D.W. Tale Spins"|
|Number in season:||6A|
|Original Airdate:|| October 12, 1999|
|Written by:||Joe Fallon|
|Storyboard by:||Stéphanie Gignac|
"The Rat Who Came to Dinner"
"Prunella Gets it Twice"
The combination of Greek mythology and D.W.'s imagination results in a fantastic tale.
Arthur has invited Buster to read Vegemorphs books. He is happy to have something that he does not have to let D.W. join in. D.W. angrily claims that she can make up better stories than in the books. Arthur takes her by her word, but D.W. cannot write.
Grandma Thora tells D.W. how cavemen used to pass on stories by word of mouth without writing.
Arthur and Buster are reading in the treehouse when D.W. comes and tells them the story of the warrior queen O-D.W.-eus.
The queen stole Poseidon’s unicorn, so he crashes her ship on a cliff. The crew, made up of Nadine and some preschoolers, survive.
The next morning the crew, except O-D.W.-eus, eat strange plants that make them forget everything. All are caught by a cyclops (Buster) who takes them to his cave and eats the Tibbles. O-D.W.-eus blinds the cyclops by tying his ear around his head. Then she yells that the crew are escaping. The cyclops opens the cave entrance and they all run out and escape in the cyclops’ boat using his sock as a sail.
When they pass three sirens singing “Crazy Bus”, O-D.W.-eus becomes enchanted and has to be tied to the mast.
Then they have to pass between a monster named Scylla (Muffy) and a whirlpool named Charybdis (Arthur). They toss the cyclops’ sock in one of Scylla’s faces and escape. In sight of their home island the ship is destroyed by lightning from a single black cloud. O-D.W.-eus washes ashore and runs home to tell her friends about her adventure.
D.W. finishes. At first Arthur pretends that the story was not as good as Vegemorphs. D.W. tells him that he cannot recognize a good story, since she was retelling the Odyssey which Grandma Thora told to her. Arthur and Buster ask her to tell it again, especially the parts about Charybdis and the cyclops.
Characters in her Story
- O-D.W.-eus (D.W. Read)
- Cyclops (Buster Baxter)
- Scylla (Muffy)
- Poseidon (Francine)
- Charybdis (Arthur)
- Three Sirens
- Timmy and Tommy Tibble
- Nadine Flumberghast
- Amanda Hulser
- This is the second time Arthur displays resentment toward his sister D.W.'s natural talents for a young age. The first was in Arthur and the Crunch Cereal Contest and then in Cast Away three seasons after this episode.
- This is the first episode D.W. wears Arthur's glasses.
- In D.W.'s version of The Odyssey, Part 1, many of Arthur's and D.W.'s friends are featured as different characters in the story, as listed:
- In addiciton to the characters mentioned above, the story also features the island of lotus-eaters and the sirens from Homer's Odyssey.
- The name "O-D.W.-eus", is a spoof off of name "Odysseus" from the original version of The Odyssey.
- While the Vegemorphs book series is a parody of the Animorphs books, there is an actual "Vegemorphs" book in real life.
- The Crazy Bus song is featured as the song of the Sirens.
- This episode briefly mentions some of the things from Arthur's Pet Business.
- This is the first episode D.W. wears Arthur's glasses, and the second episode she pretends to be like him, similar to her copying him in D.W. the Copycat.