Gray (s6-s15, s20)
|Residence||Francis Haney's house, Elwood City|
|Book debut||Arthur's Eyes|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Eyes"|
|Voiced by||Walter Massey|
Francis Haney (formerly Herb Haney) is the former principal of Lakewood Elementary. He oversees everything happening in the school, whether it be school events, bad behavior from pupils, school renovations, etc. Besides being the principal, he is very active in the community of Elwood City and often takes part in managing or competing in public events, especially if they are sponsored by the school. He leaves Elwood City in Season 20 to fulfill his dream of building a school in Tanzania in Africa, being temporarily replaced by Cecilia Tingley.
In the first few seasons of the show, there was a running gag with Mr. Haney. He would randomly appear with a toy or a balloon, or would have bad luck for no apparent reason. He would get hit by things such as burgers on the face or get knocked off of his bed by the Tooth Fairy; most of this was because of his simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Everybody would respond by saying, "Sorry, sir." His luck has shown to be improved in later seasons, though.
He is also a tax customer of Jane Read, the mother of one of his pupils, Arthur Read; this was revealed in "Arthur's Mystery Envelope" when he gives Arthur an envelope filled with tax documents. Arthur initially thought that it contained information regarding him, but later found out it didn't, much to his relief.
Mr. Haney is a bear with light grey fur. He is often seen wearing a light blue jacket suit over a white shirt and a red and blue striped tie. He also wears dark blue pants with brown loafers and brown framed glasses. In the summer, he wears a turquoise blue t-shirt with dark blue at the bottom and tip of sleeves, white shorts with dark blue at the top and bottom and on the sides and red and white sneakers. He is one of the few characters in the series depicted with fur, as opposed to a complexion like most of the characters that have human-like skin tones.
In the Arthur books, Mr. Haney is usually depicted wearing a green suit rather than a blue one. However, during Season 16 through 19 of Arthur, Mr. Haney started wearing a green suit on the show as well. In the few appearances he makes beginning with Season 20, he is back in his blue suit.
Mr. Haney is a kind character who cares deeply about the well-being of his students, but will deal a stern stance if they do anything to disrupt the day for their class or their teachers. He also can be a bit clueless, having been talked out of giving a punishment by students like Binky Barnes, though this happens only on rare occasions. He tends to be rather clumsy and becomes distracted or confused easily, requiring the assistance of Ms. Tingley. He has dyslexia.
- Season 1
- Arthur's Eyes 10101
- Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn 10201
- Arthur's Spelling Trubble 10202
- D.W.'s Imaginary Friend (Cameo) 10401
- Arthur Accused! 10602
- Buster Makes the Grade 10702
- Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe 10902
- Arthur Writes a Story 11201
- Arthur and the True Francine 11402
- Arthur, World's Greatest Gleeper 11702
- Arthur Makes the Team (Cameo) 11902
- D.W.'s Snow Mystery (Mentioned) 12201
- Misfortune Teller 12302
- Arthur's Substitute Teacher Trouble 12702
- My Club Rules 12901
- Stolen Bike 12902
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- April 9th 71000
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Buster's Special Delivery 101002
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Do You Believe in Magic? 120902
- Season 13
- Season 14
- The Play's the Thing 140302
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Get Smart 160401
- Season 17
- Crime and Consequences 170802
- Season 19
- Season 20
- The Hallway Minotaur 200701
- Season 21
- Muffy Misses Out 210401 (Cameo)
- Season 24
- "The Great MacGrady (Season 24 episode)" 2402 (Cameo)
- Mr. Haney is seen walking past the library with a dog on a leash pulling him in "D.W.'s Imaginary Friend."
- In "The Boy with His Head in the Clouds," he is revealed to have dyslexia.
- In the early Arthur books before the cartoon, Mr. Haney was known simply as "The Principal", and he wasn't given a name until the book Arthur Meets the President and the cartoon show.
- Mr. Haney is occasionally referred to as "sir" by his students.
- As revealed in "D.W. Tricks the Tooth Fairy," Mr. Haney is single.
- In the early seasons of Arthur, certain items are shown that look like him. In "Arthur's Birthday" we see a piñata that looks like Mr. Haney. In "Arthur Bounces Back", when he presses a button on a toy robot, it changes into Mr. Haney.
- According to weta-learning media, Marc Brown tells the viewers at home that Arthur's principal, Mr. Haney was his principal at Lakewood Elementary. That's who he is based on.
- Mr. Haney is revealed to be one of Mrs. Read's customers in "Arthur's Mystery Envelope."
- Mr. Haney's first name was Herbert before season 11.
- After Mr. Haney's voice actor passed away in 2014, Mr. Haney was effectively written out of the show by having his character travel to Africa in Season 20, with Ms. Tingley assuming the role of the school principal on a temporary basis. Contrary to this, Mr. Haney has a few brief cameo appearances without speaking in subsequent episodes (for instance, he is at the bake sale in "Muffy Misses Out", and at the Halloween party in Arthur and the Haunted Tree House). This could be oversight by the writers or animators, or the episodes take place before he went to Africa.
- In the earlier seasons, Mr. Haney is seen landing in unfortunate events:
- Buster's tuba spit valve sprays his face, Francine's drumstick breaks and hit his face, and Binky stumbles into his lap and collapses his chair in "Arthur vs. the Piano."
- Burgers fall from the sky onto his face in "Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe."
- A baseball is tossed into his pitcher of lemonade in "Arthur Makes the Team."
- He falls into the Burmese tiger trap in "I'd Rather Read It Myself."
- A bucket of popcorn falls on his head in "Revenge of the Chip."
- The tooth fairy pushes him out of bed in "D.W. Tricks the Tooth Fairy."
- His breakfast is interrupted by Brain's digging machine in "Brain's Shocking Secret."
- In the episode "Arthur Writes A Story" it is revealed that Mr. Haney's mother wanted him to originally become a tree surgeon but he decided to become a principal instead.
- Main article: Francis Haney/Gallery