|"Hic or Treat"|
|Number in season:||7a|
|Original Airdate:|| September 4, 2007|
December 19, 2007
|Written by:||Kathy Waugh|
|Storyboard by:||Robert Yap|
As Arthur tries to prepare his costume for Halloween, he finds himself distracted by D.W.'s persistent case of hiccups.
In the introduction Arthur searches his room for a Halloween costume. He explains that scaring people is an important tradition and makes three trick-or-treaters change their costumes from cute to scary. He then tries to scare D.W., who has the hiccups, but fails.
Arthur quarrels with D.W., who does not think he is scary. He and Mrs. Read try to cure D.W.’s hiccups.
Brain suggests scaring D.W. Arthur tries but ends up hurting himself. D.W. claims that nothing he could do would scare her.
Arthur throws a fake octopus in D.W.’s bath to no avail. He watches Dark Bunny with D.W., but the episode shows Dark Bunny dancing with Mary Moo Cow, which bothers Arthur more than it does D.W. Arthur takes D.W. to the Sugar Bowl to eat a gingerbread man. She freaks out but does not stop hiccupping.
Desperate, D.W. gives Uni to the Tibbles. It almost works, but when Brain mentions the world record for hiccupping, D.W.’s hiccups return. D.W. has a fantasy of almost breaking the record after hiccupping for nearly sixty-nine years, only to stop hiccupping in the last 30 seconds.
In the Read home the Read family and Arthur’s friends put on their costumes. D.W. wants to go as "Hiccup Girl", just as she is. As the kids are about to go trick-or-treating, Mrs. Read accidentally unplugs the lamp. She uses a flashlight to find the cord and shines the light in Arthur’s Frankentist face, scaring D.W. At first D.W. is angry, but then she is delighted when she realizes that her hiccups are gone. Arthur is also delighted and tries to scare three trick-or-treaters, only to have them giggle at him. He hiccups and looks worried.
- The costumes of Arthur, Buster, Francine and Brain appear slightly altered in the PBS website game "Arthur's Tricks and Treats."
- D.W. imagines her future self as the same size but with white hair, despite imagining her future self as an adult in "D.W.'s Name Game."
- D.W. is still scared of octopuses, as revealed in "D.W. All Wet."
- D.W. no longer has the blankie she had in "D.W.'s Blankie."
- D.W. gets the hiccups in "Arthur vs. the Piano," which has a similar ending gag.
- Halloween also takes place in the one-hour special "Arthur and the Haunted Tree House." As such, Arthur, Buster, Francine, and Mr. and Mrs. Read all have the same costumes.
- The name "Candyboy" may be an allusion to the horror film "Candyman."
- Brain mentions Charles Osborne, who had the hiccups for 68 years.
- When discussing D.W.'s fears, she says she has never seen Dark Bunny, but heard it's "scary." However, in "That's a Baby Show!," she says she watched it the day before and it scared her.
- In the title card, D.W.'s dress is colored orange and Arthur's pants are colored green. This is because the episode takes place on Halloween and orange and green are colors commonly related to the holiday.
- Main article: Hic or Treat/Gallery