|This article is about the preschooler. You may be looking for others named James.|
Kindergarten (“First Day”)
|Birthday||Three weeks after D.W.'s birthday in March|
|Hair color||Very dark spring green|
|Complexion||Very pale gold|
|Residence||MacDonald family's house, Elwood City|
|Family||Mrs. MacDonald (mother)|
Molly MacDonald (older sister)
Myles MacDoogal (uncle)
Unnamed second cousin
Family relative (father?)
Molly's grandmother (grandmother)
|Cartoon debut||"D.W. All Wet"|
|Voiced by||Robert Naylor (Season 8)|
Jesse Camacho (circa Season 9)
Nicholas Wheeler-Hughes (Season 11)
John Flemming (Season 16 - 17)
Christian Distefano (Season 18 - present)
James MacDonald is a student who attends the Elwood Community Preschool, which is the same preschool that D.W. goes to. He and D.W. are also friends. Later, he attends Lakewood Elementary School for kindergarten.
He has an older sister named Molly in the fourth grade who goes to Lakewood Elementary. Unlike his older sister, James has a very kind and caring personality, making him an easy target for being manipulated by the Tibble twins.
James is a rabbit with a white complexion. He wears a light green button down shirt with shorts. He wears ankle high green socks and brown shoes. In later episodes, he wears white socks. He also wears square glasses.
James, unlike his older sister Molly, has a very kind and caring personality, but is also shy and timid. However, in "The Last Tough Customer," he temporarily develops a more aggressive personality due to seeing Molly bullying others and wanting to act like his older sister, and yells at Amanda and pushes her away from a fountain while she's drinking water, but he stops acting like that after Molly tells her it's not okay and told him to apologize to Amanda (and promises to change her own ways as well).
- Molly MacDonald: James looks up to his older sister and gets along well with her. In "D.W. Swims with the Fishes," Molly helps James practice for the swim meet, and James temporarily becomes a bully in "The Last Tough Customer" due to wanting to act like his older sister.
- D.W. Read: D.W. and James are classmates and friends. In "Kiss and Tell," D.W. tries to get him to kiss her because she wants to feel like a fairytale princess, which eventually did happen, but not much comes of it besides D.W. looking slightly shocked. In "D.W. Unties the Knot," D.W. also chooses James to be her imaginary groom on a whim after seeing a wedding on TV and wanting to have one for herself. In "The Secret About Secrets," James splits his pants in school and trusts D.W. to keep it a secret from everyone to avoid embarrassing him. While she does ultimately keep it a secret from their classmates, she still betrayed James' trust by telling her mother.
- In early production material, he was named Jimmy.
- In earlier episodes a rabbit similar to James (down to size, clothes, and even glasses) can be seen on the Mary Moo Cow TV show.
- A running gag in the earlier seasons was James asking to go to the bathroom.
- In the episodes, "Night of the Tibble" and "D.W. Swims with the Fishes," James has a pillow on his bed saying "Far West."
- During Career Day in "D.W. Aims High," he can be seen wearing a baseball cap and catcher's mitt, which suggests that he may want to play baseball when he grows up.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- 220b. "Sue Ellen's Little Sister"
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Season 5
- 508a. "The Last of Mary Moo Cow"
- Season 6
- 607b. "More!"
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 18
- Season 19
- 1903b. "Spar for the Course" (cameo)
- Season 20
- Season 21
- Season 23
- Season 24
- Main article: James MacDonald/Gallery