|Number in season:||8b|
|Original Airdate:|| May 24, 2006|
September 22, 2006
November 16, 2006
May 5, 2008
|Written by:||Stephanie Simpson|
|Storyboard by:||Jeremy O'Neill|
"Binky vs. Binky"
"Do You Speak George?"
D.W. needs ear surgery and learns how hospitals help children get better.
In the introduction Arthur gives examples of how it helps to be prepared for things. However, he was not prepared for D.W.’s birth.
D.W. and her dad visit Dr. Tinnitus the ear doctor/surgeon. She discovers that D.W.’s ears are full of gunk. Since D.W. has already had several ear infections that year, Dr. Tinnitus wants D.W. to come back for an operation to insert small tubes into her eardrums so the gunk will flow out instead of clogging the middle ear.
At home Arthur is especially nice to D.W. He lets her choose the TV program and brings her cookies. When she asks him why, her tells her that it is because she is being so brave. D.W. did not know that an operation was something you had to be brave about.
Mr. Read takes D.W. to the hospital the day before her operation. A nurse examines her and takes a blood sample. She gives D.W. a teddy bear for being brave and D.W. thanks her and tells her dad that they should go. The nurse tells D.W. that she's not done yet and still has to see more doctors.
At night D.W. tells Arthur about seeing an anesthesiologist. Both Arthur and her dad give her encouraging words.
D.W. dreams about being examined by Miss Morgan and the Tibbles and found to completely lack bravery. The next morning she claims to be able to hear the TV, not realizing that the sound is turned off. Her dad tells her that it is okay to be scared but the operation is necessary.
At the hospital the nurse gives D.W. a hospital gown and a “Number One Patient” sticker. Arthur gives her a good luck mark with his lucky pencil. Dr. Tinnitus arrives and she and Mr. Read bring D.W. to the operating room where she is put under anesthesia.
During the operation D.W. dreams that she is a superheroine with huge ears who protects a unicorn from a troll.
After D.W. wakes up, her parents take her home. D.W. now can hear Arthur whispering and while playing doctor she “discovers” that Arthur has no brains and decides that he needs an operation..
- Kate Read
- Dr. Tinnitus
- Ms. Morgan
- Timmy and Tommy Tibble
- Mary Moo Cow
- Bionic Bunny
- Super Eargirl
- This episode is paired with "Binky vs. Binky," which features Vance Legstrong, a character who is a parody of Lance Armstrong. Due to the Lance Armstrong doping case, both of these episodes were pulled from the national rerun rotation in the United States; they have not aired nationally since January 30, 2013. However, it is believed that this episode pair continued airing in reruns on PBS stations that opted to air Arthur reruns on an independent rotation as opposed to the national one.
- The last part of the intro is actually a flashback of Arthur as a little kid meeting his baby sister D.W.
- The official name for the tubes D.W. gets is tympanostomy tubes.
- Arthur's lucky pencil from the episode "Arthur's Lucky Pencil" appears again. However, unlike in "Sue Ellen Gets Her Goose Cooked," where it is a small one in a plastic bag with its shavings, it is a full size one.
- Dr. Tinnitus is named for a malfunction of the ear which causes the patient to hear sounds that are not there.
- When D.W. is examined before the operation, the other names on the nurse's clipboard are Nancy Simard, Mario Gailloux, Junian Huang and Rolando Chia. They are people who have worked on either Arthur or Postcards from Buster.
- Like all episodes of Season 10, this episode included the number '10' hidden in various places. For a list of them, see ARTHUR Season 10 Scavenger Hunt.
- Baby D.W.'s laugh is actually one of Kate's laughs in a higher pitch.