|Animal||Dog (mixed-breed; English Setter on father's side)|
|Complexion||Light brilliant amber|
|Residence||Reads' House, Elwood City|
|Family||Arthur Read (owner)|
Dr. Yowl (cousin)
|Book debut||Arthur's Pet Business|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Pet Business"|
|Voiced by||Simon Peacock (main speaking voice)|
Michael Yarmush (118b)
Arthur Holden (304b)
Yvette Kaplan (AMP)
In "Arthur's Pet Business," Arthur watches many animals including Mrs. Wood's dog, Perky. Mrs. Wood had a list that he needed to abide by for Perky to be happy, such as brushing her 100 times. When Mrs. Wood was about to pick up Perky, Arthur believed that he had lost her, but she was actually giving birth to a litter of puppies behind one of the Reads' chairs. Mrs. Wood lets Arthur pick Pal out of the litter because he was a good petsitter.
Pal is a small golden-haired dog with smooth fur. When he was first born, he had fuzzy fur. He wears a red collar with a silver pendant attached to it. In the TV series and CGI movie, his eyes are black; although in the books and in many detailed illustrations, they're normally white with a black dot in each one, but he is occasionally seen with black eyes.
"People are the most illogical, strange and frustrating creatures on the planet. Still, they do know how to make a top-notch ham-bone."
In some episodes, it's shown that Pal can communicate with other animals and anthropomorphic animal babies. In these episodes, he speaks with a high-brow British accent and acts sophisticated. He likes to sleep under the couch, but he usually loves to sleep on Arthur's bed with him and comforts him by licking him after he has a nightmare. He dislikes being alone in places.
When he was a couple of weeks old, he was easily excited and not housetrained. He bit his leash and popped the tire of Francine's bike with his teeth. Because of doing these things, Arthur's parents gave him the options that Pal will either stay in the garage or be sent away until he's housetrained, both of which were to Arthur's objections. However, Arthur spent a lot of time training him and he has since then learned to become a fairly-intelligent dog. He only knows basic tricks, such as sit, and Arthur failed to teach him more complex orders.
Pal generally gets along well with others and always wags his tail, with the exception of pet cats, as he has ailurophobia (fear of cats).
- Arthur Read: He is Pal's main owner in the family whom he is always tended by. Arthur loves his dog Pal, and always takes good care of him. At night, he enjoys sleeping on Arthur's bed with him. Arthur usually makes it a point to say positive things about Pal, and refers to him as the "smartest dog on Earth" — even though Pal occasionally makes mistakes, such as turning off the computer when Arthur is doing his homework.
- D.W. Read: She always refers to him as "Arthur's crazy dog". Occasionally, Pal takes the habit of tormenting D.W. although Pal still likes her. D.W. on the other hand, sees it differently. Other times, she treats him nicely (such as in the opening theme, when she is shown petting him).
- Kate Read: In "The Secret Life of Dogs and Babies" from Season 6 and many subsequent episodes, they are seen talking to each other and with other pets and babies, but the people older than Kate's age dismiss it as gibberish whenever they're around. The first episode that showed his friendship with her was "Arthur's Lost Dog," when he ran across Elwood City to get a balloon to cheer her up.
- Amigo: He is the Molinas' dog, whom Pal became best friends with after the family moved into the neighborhood in Season 6's "Arthur and Los Vecinos." He often has adventures with him and Kate.
- Brain: When he came over to stay at Arthur's House when his parents went to the Ice Creamer's Convention, he taught Pal some tricks, such as walking on his hind legs rather than on all fours. His friends once imagined him getting a puppy who looks like Pal, but with brown fur instead of golden.
- Buster Baxter: Buster really loves Pal. When he comes over to Arthur's House, he seems to have fun with him too, such as petting and massaging him (although he once said Pal was lazy).
- Francine Frensky: When she comes over to Arthur's House, he seems to get along with her sometimes, such as when he licks her face at Arthur's 8th birthday party during a Spin the Bottle game when the bottle points at him, and she smiles and pets him in return (as her way of thanking him). However, he dislikes her cat, Nemo, far more than her as of Season 6 (although they were shown to like each other once after Francine got Nemo in "Francine and the Feline"). She also once mentioned that she was sad that she didn't even get a puppy.
- Killer: She is a stray lap dog that was found on Grandma Thora's front porch in the episode "It Came From Beyond," which marked her first appearance. She bites Pal on the leg; however, Thora convinces her to be more friendly, and she and Pal are now friends.
- Muffy Crosswire: She and Pal don't have much of a relationship with each other. When Pal is lost in Elwood City (which he had done in order to get a balloon so Kate would cheer up), she refers to him as a "rude little dog" every time he runs off whenever she and Francine wish he would thank them.
- Pickles: Pal will sometimes cross paths with Pickles the Clown. On one occasion, Pal hunts down Pickles around Elwood City in order to get a free balloon for Kate. Pickles doesn't seem to enjoy Pal's company due to his dog allergies, which will cause him to constantly sneeze. Pal, however, doesn't seem to mind.
- Nemo: He is Francine Frensky's cat. The two are bitter rivals and often compete with one another. However, in Nemo's first appearance, he and Pal appear to be good friends, given how much they enjoy playing together, and how sad Pal is when Arthur separates the two.
- Season 1
- "D.W. All Wet" 10301 (cameo)
- "Arthur's Lost Library Book" 10402 (cameo)
- "Arthur's Pet Business" 10501
- "D.W. the Copycat" 10502 (cameo)
- Locked in the Library! 10601 (cameo)
- "Arthur's New Puppy" 10801
- "Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe" 10902 (cameo)
- "Arthur's Birthday" 11001
- "Arthur Writes a Story" 11201
- "Arthur's Lost Dog" 11202
- "Arthur the Wrecker" 11401
- "Arthur and the True Francine" 11402
- "Arthur's Chicken Pox" 11801
- "Sick as a Dog" 11802
- "D.W. Rides Again" 11901
- "Arthur Makes the Team" 11902
- "Arthur's Almost Boring Day" 12001
- "The Half-Baked Sale" 12002
- "The Perfect Brother" 12102
- "D.W.'s Snow Mystery" 12201
- "Arthur Cleans Up" 12502
- "D.W.'s Blankie" 12701 (cameo)
- "The Scare-Your-Pants-Off Club" 12802
- "Arthur's New Year's Eve" 13002 (cameo)
- Season 2
- "Binky Barnes, Art Expert" 20201 (cameo)
- "Arthur's Lucky Pencil" 20202
- "D.W., the Picky Eater" 20301
- "Arthur Makes a Movie" 20401
- "Go to Your Room, D.W." 20402
- "Arthur's Underwear" 20501 (cameo)
- "Buster Baxter, Cat Saver" 20601
- "Play it Again, D.W." 20602
- "Arthur's TV-Free Week" 20701
- "Night Fright" 20702
- "The Big Blow-Up" 20802 (cameo)
- "Lost!" 20901 (cameo)
- "Arthur's Mystery Envelope" 21002
- "Arthur's Faraway Friend" 21201
- "Arthur the Unfunny" 21302
- "Sue Ellen's Lost Diary" 21401
- "Arthur's Knee" 21402
- "D.W.'s Very Bad Mood" 21802
- "Finders Key-pers" 21902
- "Sue Ellen's Little Sister" 22002
- Season 3
- "Buster's Back" 30101
- "And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids" 30402
- "The Chips are Down" 30501
- "Dad's Dessert Dilemma" 30702
- "Arthur's Treasure Hunt" 30901
- "Attack of the Turbo Tibbles" 31001 (cameo)
- "D.W. Tricks the Tooth Fairy" 31002
- "Arthur's Almost Live Not Real Music Festival" 31102
- "Arthur's Dummy Disaster" 31301
- "Francine and the Feline" 31302
- "Mom and Dad Have a Great Big Fight" 31401
- "D.W.'s Perfect Wish" 31402
- Season 4
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 17
- Season 18
- Season 19
- Season 20
- Season 21
- Season 22
- Season 23