|Animal||Dog (mixed-breed; English Setter on father's side)|
|Residence||Reads' House, Elwood City|
|Family||Arthur Read (owner),|
Dr. Yowl (cousin)
|Book debut||Arthur's Pet Business|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Pet Business"|
|Voiced by||Simon Peacock (main speaking voice)|
Michael Yarmush (118b)
Arthur Holden (304b)
Yvette Kaplan (AMP)
In "Arthur's Pet Business", Arthur watched many animals including Mrs. Wood's dog, Perky. Mrs. Wood had a list that he needed to abide by for Perky to be happy, such as brushing her 100 times. When Mrs. Wood was about to pick up Perky Arthur believed that he had lost her, but she was actually giving birth to be a litter of puppies behind one of The Reads' chairs. Mrs. Wood lets Arthur pick Pal out of the litter because he was a good petsitter.
Pal is a small golden-haired dog with smooth fur. When he was first born, he had fuzzy fur. He wears a red collar with a silver pendant attached to it. In the TV series and CGI movie, his eyes are black; although in the books and in many detailed illustrations, they're normally white with a black dot in each one, but he is occasionally seen with black eyes.
"People are the most illogical, strange and frustrating creatures on the planet. Still, they do know how to make a top-notch ham-bone. "
In some episodes, it's shown that Pal can communicate with other animals and human babies. In these episodes, he speaks with a high-brow British accent and acts sophisticated. He likes to sleep under the couch, but he usually loves to sleep on Arthur's bed with him and comforts him by licking him after he has a nightmare. He dislikes being alone in places.
When he was a couple of weeks old, he was easily excited and not housetrained. He bit his leash and popped the tire of Francine's bike with his teeth. Because of doing these things Arthur's parents gave him the options that Pal will either stay in the garage or be sent away until he was housetrained, both of which were to Arthur's objections. However, Arthur spent a lot of time training him and he has since then learned to become a fairly-intelligent dog. He only knows basic tricks, such as sit, and Arthur failed to teach him more complex orders.
Pal generally gets along well with others and always wags his tail, with the exception of pet cats, in which he has ailurophobia (fear of cats).
- Arthur Read: He is Pal's main owner in the family whom he is always tended by. Arthur loves his dog Pal, and always takes good care of him. At night, he enjoys sleeping on Arthur's bed with him. Arthur usually makes it a point to say positive things about Pal, and refers to him as the "smartest dog on Earth" — even though Pal occasionally makes mistakes, such as turning off the computer when Arthur is doing his homework.
- D.W. Read: She always refers to him as "Arthur's crazy dog". Even though Pal likes her, she sees it differently. Other times, she treats him nicely (such as in the opening theme, when she is shown petting him).
- Kate Read: In "The Secret Life of Dogs and Babies" from Season 6 and many subsequent episodes, they are seen talking to each other and with other pets and babies, but the people older than Kate's age dismiss it as gibberish whenever they're around. The first episode that showed his first friendship with her was in "Arthur's Lost Dog", when he ran across Elwood City to get a balloon to cheer her up.
- Amigo: He is the Molinas' dog, whom Pal became best friends with after the family moved into the neighborhood in Season 6. He often has adventures with him and Kate.
- Brain: When he came over to stay at Arthur's house when his parents went to the Ice Creamer's Convention, he taught Pal some tricks, such as walking on his hind legs than on all fours. His friends once imagined him getting a puppy who looks like Pal, but with brown fur instead of golden.
- Buster Baxter: Buster really loves Pal. When he comes over to Arthur's house, he seems to have fun with him too, such as petting and massaging him (although he once said Pal was lazy).
- Francine Frensky: When she comes over to Arthur's house, he seems to get along with her sometimes, such as when he licked her face at Arthur's 8th birthday party during a Spin the Bottle game, when the bottle pointed at him, and she smiled and petted him in return (as her way of thanking him). However, he dislikes her cat, Nemo, far more than her as of Season 6 (although they were shown to like each other once after Francine got Nemo in "Francine and the Feline"). She also once mentioned that she was sad that she didn't even get a puppy.
- Killer: She is a stray lap dog that was found on Grandma Thora's front porch from the episode, "It Came From Beyond" which marked her first appearance. She bit Pal on the leg; however, Thora convinced her to be more friendly, and she and Pal are now friends.
- Muffy Crosswire: She and Pal don't have much of a relationship with each other. When Pal was lost in Elwood City (which he had done in order to get a balloon so Kate would cheer up), she referred to him as a "rude little dog" every time he ran off whenever she and Francine wished he would thank them.
- Nemo: He is Francine Frensky's cat. The two are bitter rivals and often compete with one another. However, in Nemo's first appearance, he and Pal appeared to be good friends in "Francine and the Feline", given as how much they enjoyed playing together, and how sad Pal was when Arthur separated the two.
- Season 1
- D.W. All Wet 10301 (cameo)
- Arthur's Lost Library Book 10402 (cameo)
- Arthur's Pet Business 10501
- D.W. the Copycat 10502 (cameo)
- Locked in the Library! 10601 (cameo)
- Arthur's New Puppy 10801
- Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe 10902 (cameo)
- Arthur's Birthday 11001
- Arthur Writes a Story 11201
- Arthur's Lost Dog 11202
- Arthur the Wrecker 11401
- Arthur and the True Francine 11402
- Arthur's Chicken Pox 11801
- Sick as a Dog 11802
- D.W. Rides Again 11901
- Arthur Makes the Team 11902
- Arthur's Almost Boring Day 12001
- The Half-Baked Sale 12002
- The Perfect Brother 12102
- D.W.'s Snow Mystery 12201
- Arthur Cleans Up 12502
- D.W.'s Blankie 12701 (cameo)
- The Scare-Your-Pants-Off Club 12802
- Arthur's New Year's Eve 13002 (cameo)
- Season 2
- Binky Barnes, Art Expert 20201 (cameo)
- Arthur's Lucky Pencil 20202
- D.W., the Picky Eater 20301
- Arthur Makes a Movie 20401
- Go to Your Room, D.W. 20402
- Arthur's Underwear 20501 (cameo)
- Buster Baxter, Cat Saver 20601
- Play it Again, D.W. 20602
- Arthur's TV-Free Week 20701
- Night Fright 20702
- The Big Blow-Up 20802 (cameo)
- Lost! 20901 (cameo)
- Arthur's Mystery Envelope 21002
- Arthur's Faraway Friend 21201
- Arthur the Unfunny 21302
- Sue Ellen's Lost Diary 21401
- Arthur's Knee 21402
- D.W.'s Very Bad Mood 21802
- Finders Key-pers 21902
- Sue Ellen's Little Sister 22002
- Season 3
- Buster's Back 30101
- And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids 30402
- The Chips are Down 30501
- Dad's Dessert Dilemma 30702
- Arthur's Treasure Hunt 30901
- Attack of the Turbo Tibbles 31001 (cameo)
- D.W. Tricks the Tooth Fairy 31002
- Arthur's Almost Live Not Real Music Festival 31102
- Arthur's Dummy Disaster 31301
- Francine and the Feline 31302
- Mom and Dad Have a Great Big Fight 31401
- D.W.'s Perfect Wish 31402
- Season 4
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 17
- Season 18
- Season 19
- Season 20
- Season 21
- Season 1