|"The Rat Who Came To Dinner"|
|Number in season:||5B|
|Original Airdate:|| October 11, 1999|
January 21, 2000
|Written by:||Joe Fallon|
|Storyboard by:||Maria Astadjova|
"D.W. Tale Spins"
When Mr. Ratburn's roof collapses, Arthur's parents invite him to stay at their house, and Arthur is afraid that means his teacher will be grading him every minute.
Arthur has a nightmare in which his family is replaced with clones of Mr. Ratburn. After waking up he remarks how bad it would be to have your teacher live at your house. Just then, Mr. Ratburn actually comes into his room.
Sometime earlier Mr. Ratburn talks to a roofer about cracks in his ceiling caused by a heavy layer of snow. Just as the roofer assures him the roof will hold, part of it falls in.
Arthur prepares for a relaxing weekend when his mom tells him that Mr. Ratburn will be staying at their house until his roof is fixed. Arthur is horrified but cannot talk his parents out of it. Arthur imagines that Mr. Ratburn will permanently quiz him.
Mr. Ratburn turns out to be quite casual out of school. He has brought Spooky Poo videos which the whole family enjoys. He also teaches Arthur a magic trick and is delighted when Mr. Read bakes a cake for him.
On Monday, however, Arthur gets an A in a test and all of his friends are angry, because they believe Mr. Ratburn is giving him special treatment.
At home Arthur tells his parents and Mr. Ratburn overhears. Arthur suggests that Mr. Ratburn give him an F, but Mr. Ratburn works out something different.
The next day when Arthur’s friends tease him, Mr. Ratburn tells the kids that he will take turns staying at their homes. At first, everyone is shocked. Then they ask Arthur what it was like. He tells them not to mind if people call them “teacher’s pet”, and that they should like Spooky Poo.
- Gunky (as the roofer)
- Buster Baxter
- Fern Walters
- Francine Frensky
- Muffy Crosswire
- Binky Barnes
- George Lundgren
- 4th Grade Male Rabbit
- Norman Hedgehog
- Jack Weasel
- 3rd Grade Male Rabbit
- 3rd Grade Male Dog (Number 3)
- Maria Pappas
- Jenna Morgan
- 3rd Grade Male Dog
- 3rd Grade Female Aardvark
- 3rd Grade Female Cat (Number 2)
- Arthur's phone has only nine buttons instead of twelve.
- A running gag throughout this episode is D.W. saying Mr. Ratburn's name incorrectly in different ways.
- The episode's title refers to the famous play The Man Who Came to Dinner.
- In Arthur's imagination, Mr. Ratburn spoofs the "This is your brain on drugs"-campaign.
- Spooky Poo is a parody of the television show Scooby-Doo.
- The outside view of the house while everyone says goodnight alludes to The Waltons.